It’s natural for your breasts to change over time. You may begin to notice things such as a drooping breast shape, enlarged areolas, and low nipple position. As a woman, these changes may bother you and affect your sense of beauty, youthfulness, and femininity.
If your breasts are causing you to feel self-conscious, a surgical breast lift may be the ideal solution. Over a hundred thousand women undergo this procedure to restore the shape and position of their breasts every year.
Learn how a breast lift can help you by scheduling a complimentary consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeons at 303-706-1100. They have the skill and experience needed to create the beautiful, natural-looking results you desire. Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery proudly welcomes patients from Denver, Lone Tree, and the surrounding areas of Colorado.
- What is a Breast Lift?
- When to Consider a Breast Lift
- Breast Lift Candidates
- Preparing for Your Breast Lift
- The Breast Lift Procedure
- Breast Lift Recovery
- Minimize Breast Lift Scars with Scar Therapy
- What Procedures Can be Combined With a Breast Lift?
- Schedule Your Consultation For a Breast Lift in Denver, CO
What is a Breast Lift?
A breast lift is a surgical procedure performed to restore an elevated, symmetrical, and aesthetically pleasing breast shape. Also known as mastopexy, it is an ideal way to correct drooping and a loss of firmness.
A breast lift begins with the removal of stretched, excess skin. Then, the tissue is reshaped so that it is tighter and better able to support the new breast contour. If downward-facing nipples or enlarged areolas are concerns, the procedure can correct those as well.
When to Consider a Breast Lift
Women often have different motivations for pursuing breast surgery. There are many reasons why you may consider a breast lift, including to:
- Correct changes caused by gravity, aging, pregnancy, heredity, or weight gain and loss
- Improve breast sagging (ptosis)
- Correct elongated, pendulous breasts
- Reduce the size of enlarged areolas
- Elevate nipples that point downward or fall below the breast crease
- Restore a perkier, firmer breast shape
- Help bras and swimwear look and fit better
Breast Lift Candidates
You may be an ideal candidate for breast lift surgery if:
- You are unhappy with the appearance of your breasts: Every woman deserves the confidence that comes with feeling good about her body. If you are dissatisfied with breasts that have begun to sag, you deserve to find out about your options for restoration and creating a more youthful breast appearance.
- You have reasonable expectations: It is important for you to have a clear understanding of what you would like to change about your breasts, as well as what breast lift surgery can potentially achieve. Additionally, you need to be aware of the considerations associated with the procedure, such as scarring. Our plastic surgeons take the time to educate you regarding these factors during the consultation.
- You do not plan to become pregnant soon: Pregnancy, and the physical changes it involves, is likely to cause your breasts to sag again and to change your breast lift results. For this reason, you may want to wait until your family is complete before moving forward with a breast lift.
- Your weight is stable and near your goal: Significant weight fluctuations after surgery can impact your results. If you lose a substantial amount of weight after your breast lift, your breasts may take on a deflated or sagging appearance. Once you have reached a stable weight, you may be an ideal candidate for a breast lift.
- You are in good general health: Before pursuing any elective surgery, it is crucial to be in good health. Certain medical conditions can affect healing and your outcome, as can smoking. Being healthy will set you up for a smooth recovery with less risk of complications.
These factors serve as general guidelines for candidacy. However, the best way to find out if a breast lift is right for you is by scheduling a complimentary consultation with our board-certified plastic surgeons.
It is difficult to make surgical recommendations without meeting with you in person to go over important details like your medical history, cosmetic concerns, and goals for the procedure. Additionally, our surgeons will need to perform a breast exam in order to give you personalized suggestions. During this time, you will have the opportunity to view before and after photos and ask any questions that you may have.
"I couldn't have had a better experience. The staff is so gracious and welcoming, I felt comfortable the second I walked in the door...My procedure went smooth and I am so so happy with my results." - Brenda, Google Review
Preparing for Your Breast Lift
The surgeons at Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery will usually require you to have a current mammogram (breast X-ray) before your surgery, especially if you are older than 40. Any breast surgery can alter your mammogram, so it is helpful to have a pre-operative x-ray on record to compare in the future.
In addition to obtaining a pre-operative mammogram, you will get a set of instructions describing how you should prepare for a breast lift. Although some things will be unique to you, possible pre-operative instructions may include:
- Quitting smoking
- Not taking certain medications, particularly those that thin your blood
- Reporting any symptoms of illness to our team
- Not eating or drinking anything after midnight before your surgery
- What clothes you should wear to the appointment
- What to bring to your surgical appointment and what to leave at home
The Breast Lift Procedure
Breast lifts are typically performed under general anesthesia at our outpatient surgical center. Park Meadows Outpatient Surgery is a state-licensed, The Joint Commission-accredited surgery center. It features a private presurgical suite, two operating rooms, two procedure rooms, and a recovery room.
The average breast lift procedure can take anywhere from approximately an hour and a half to three hours. The appropriate approach and technique used will depend on factors such as your breast shape, degree of sagging, amount of extra skin, and areola size. Based on these considerations, our surgeons will utilize one of the following incision patterns:
- Donut: A relatively simple incision pattern, the so-called donut shape goes around the areola. It typically consists of an inner and outer circle and allows for minor to moderate correction.
- Lollipop: This pattern consists of a circular incision around the areola, followed by a vertical incision down toward the breast crease. The addition of the downward line allows for more correction than the donut shape.
- Anchor: The anchor incision travels around the areola and vertically down, much like the lollipop pattern. However, it also goes horizontally along the breast crease and offers the most considerable degree of correction.
Breast Lift Recovery
Most breast lift patients can return home on the day of their surgery. You should arrange for someone to drive you and stay with you during the first 24 hours. Make sure to read your post-operative care instructions in advance so that you know what to expect. These directions contain diet and activity restrictions, as well as wound care guidelines.
Initially, you may experience some discomfort or pain after surgery. This is normal and can be managed with medication until it improves.
After your procedure, you will have steri-strips covering your incisions. Some patients will also have tape or bandages covering the breasts to help shape or support the breast after surgery. If you have drains, you and your family will be instructed on how to care for them.
Most women are able to return to work approximately one week after surgery if they do not have a very active job that requires heavy physical lifting or activity. You will need to wear a post-operative bra for shaping and support for about six weeks. It can take up to six months for the breasts to "settle" and achieve their final shape.
Minimize Breast Lift Scars with Scar Therapy
For women who would like to ensure that their scars fade as much as possible, scar therapy silicone sheets may be a great choice. Our plastic surgeons have seen first-hand the amazing results that can be achieved with scar therapy
This popular scar therapy product consists of adhesive sheets that stabilize the skin, prevent pulling, and hydrate the scar area as it heals. These elements help to drastically improve the appearance of the scar. At Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery, scar treatment is included in the cost of the procedure.
What Procedures Can be Combined With a Breast Lift?
In some cases, a breast lift alone may not be able to accomplish all your goals. There are several circumstances in which our plastic surgeons may advise combining your breast lift with another procedure. These procedures include:
- Breast Augmentation: A breast lift can help your chest look slightly fuller by reshaping your breast contour; however, the procedure does not add volume or fill out the upper breast area. If you want to round out your upper breast or enhance your breast size, consider pairing your breast lift with breast augmentation. Breast augmentation uses implants to add the fullness you desire.
- Breast Reduction: If you want to reduce the size of your breasts, you may choose to combine your breast lift with a breast reduction. A breast reduction is ideal for correcting pendulous breasts that often cause physical and emotional discomfort. These two procedures complement each other to achieve a smaller breast size and elevate sagging, stretched tissue.
- Mommy Makeover: Many women pursue breast lift surgery to reverse the changes that come with having children. However, pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can affect more than your breasts. A mommy makeover, which is a customized combination of plastic surgery procedures, may be the best option to rejuvenate your figure completely.
Schedule Your Consultation For a Breast Lift in Denver, CO
To learn more about breast lift surgery and receive individualized recommendations, please call 303-706-1100 to arrange a complimentary cosmetic consultation. Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery proudly serves Denver, Lone Tree, and the surrounding areas of Colorado.