For hundreds of thousands of women each year, breast augmentation (also referred to as breast enlargement) has provided an improved breast appearance.
A breast augmentation procedure utilizes breast implants or a fat transfer to enhance the chest area. For some of our patients, this procedure provides breast volume and shape that has never been present, while for others it restores fullness and balance to their figure that has been lost during weight changes or after pregnancy.
At Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeons are privileged to care for women of all ages who are seeking to enhance their natural beauty. Please call 303-706-1100 to schedule a consultation to determine if this procedure is right for you. We proudly serve Denver, Lone Tree, and throughout the surrounding areas of Colorado.
- Benefits of Breast Augmentation
- Am I a Candidate for Breast Augmentation?
- How Long Does a Breast Augmentation Take?
- Preparing for Breast Augmentation
- What to Expect on the Day of Your Breast Augmentation Surgery?
- Recovery from Breast Augmentation
- Breast Augmentation for Tuberous Breasts
- Dual Plane Breast Augmentation Technique
- Breast Augmentation Using Fat Grafting
- Is Breast Augmentation Painful?
- Are There Any Risks to Breast Augmentation?
- Combining Procedures with Breast Augmentation
- How Many Cup Sizes Can You Go Up With Breast Augmentation?
- Can I Receive a Breast Augmentation Again in the Future?
- Contact Our Breast Implant Surgeons in Denver
The personal decision to undergo breast augmentation can stem from a variety of reasons. The desire the improve your physical appearance and correct any aesthetic concerns you may have is often the biggest factor. This procedure can:
- Increase breast fullness
- Improve symmetry between breasts
- Balance proportions between hips and chest
- Increase breast projection
- Provide more pronounced cleavage
However, the benefits of breast augmentation go beyond these physical changes and can include:
- Improved self-esteem and body image
- Increased confidence while dressed and undressed
- Improved appearance in clothing and swimsuits
Regardless of your goals for this procedure, you should never feel the need to change your body to make someone else happy. Pursuing this surgery for your own benefit can help ensure that you are satisfied with your results for a very long time.
"My daughter had a birth defect where one of her breasts did not grow and the other did. We waited until she was 16 then started meeting plastic surgeons to help her with her breast augmentation. After 4 different doctors we both fell in love with Dr. Jeremy and his staff. Every staff member we came in contact with was a pleasure to work with. My daughter had her surgery and is healing nicely. In the process of helping her, I decided to have breast augmentation myself! Can’t say enough about Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery." - H.F.
You may be a good candidate for breast augmentation if you are:
- In good physical health
- Realistic in your expectations
- A non-smoker or willing to stop in order to facilitate the healing process
- Not currently breastfeeding or pregnant
- Unhappy with the appearance of your breasts
- At least 18 years old for saline implants
- At least 22 years old for silicone implants
During your initial consultation with one of our breast augmentation surgeons, we will take time to understand your goals for this procedure. We will also perform a thorough examination, answer your questions, discuss your options, and help you determine if breast augmentation is right for you.
Whether you are unsatisfied with your breasts because of their size, asymmetry, tuberous shape, or other cosmetic limitation, a breast augmentation can correct these issues and give you your confidence back! Schedule your free consultation now!
Breast augmentation typically takes between one and two hours. This timing can change if you choose to combine your breast augmentation with another procedure, such as a breast lift.
Our surgeons can give you a better estimate of how long your customized surgery will take. Schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation today to learn what you can expect.
You’ll have a number of choices to make after you decide to undergo breast augmentation at Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery. These breast implant options will play a significant role in the results you achieve:
- Implant material including saline, silicone, and memory-gel
- Implant size
- Position of the implant above or below the chest muscle
- Placement of incisions
Our experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will help you explore your options during your consultation. They will make recommendations based on your expectations for the procedure as well as your physical considerations.
At Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery, you will have your surgical procedure performed in one of the only dedicated cosmetic surgery centers in Colorado that is both state-licensed and accredited by the Joint Commission. This ensures your procedure will be performed according to the highest levels of safety established by the medical field.
You should arrive wearing loose clothing that you can change back into after the surgery. You will be escorted to a preoperative evaluation area where you can change into a gown. Your breast augmentation surgeon and board-certified anesthesiologist will meet with you before you enter the operating room suite. During this time, you will review the surgical consent form and have the opportunity to ask any last-minute questions.
When your breast augmentation surgery is complete and your dressings are in place, you will be moved to the recovery room. During this period, a nurse will assure your comfort and continue to monitor you closely.
Your stay in the recovery room will last approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Most patients are fully awake within 30 to 60 minutes after their surgery. Once we establish that you are ready to go home, a postoperative appointment will be scheduled and your discharge instructions will be reviewed. It is important to follow these directions in order to safely recover from your surgery.
Post-operative instructions include limitations on:
- Driving: You cannot drive for 48 hours after your procedure or while taking pain medicine. Please arrange a ride home after surgery.
- Activity: You may walk and climb stairs immediately following surgery. After 2 weeks, you may resume moderate activity such as brisk walking. During the first 6 weeks, do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk. After 6 weeks you may resume more strenuous aerobic work and lifting activities.
- Work: Depending on your career and your rate of healing, you should be able to return to work within 1 to 2 weeks of surgery.
- Wound Care: Your surgeon will take down your dressing at your first post-operative visit. Do not remove your dressing at home.
- Bathing: You may shower and wash your hair 48 hours after surgery. Do not take a bath or submerge your chest in water. It is okay if the dressing gets wet in the shower but be sure to pat it dry.
- Smoking and Alcohol: Do not smoke for the first several weeks after surgery as it impedes wound healing and can lead to serious wound complications. Alcohol consumption is dangerous while taking pain medicine. It has a tendency to worsen bleeding.
Though everyone experiences a slightly different recovery process, there is a general timeline available to help you understand what to expect after breast augmentation.
"LOVE how my breast augmentation turned out! I would recommend them to everyone wanting cosmetic surgery!" - Chika, Google Review
Some women have breasts that are shaped narrowly, like a tube. This condition is called a "tuberous breast deformity”.
This breast shape typically stems from how the breast develops in adolescence. Some women have a breast fold that is positioned too high on the chest or breast skin that is tight and inelastic. The tight skin and high breast fold constrict the breast tissue, forming a narrow breast shape instead of a round shape. Tuberous breasts also tend to lack cleavage. The breast tissue may also bulge around the areola, causing the areolas to look enlarged and puffy.
Like all breasts, the symmetry between tuberous breasts differs. You may have tuberous characteristics on each side, and one may be more tuberous than the other. Or, you may have one tuberous breast and a rounder breast on the other side.
The severity of tuberous breasts varies, but if you are unhappy with your breasts because of a compressed, tubular shape, then breast augmentation using implants may be a great way for you to achieve rounder, more symmetrical breasts.
A dual plane technique is appropriate for women who have a slight amount of sagging or drooping, but not enough to justify a full breast lift.
When breast augmentation is performed with the dual plane technique, our surgeons are able to use both a subglandular (under the breast tissue and over your chest muscle) and submuscular (under the chest muscle) implant location. The average breast augmentation procedure uses one placement or the other. With the dual plane technique, the upper part of the implant is submuscular while the lower part of the implant is covered only by your breast tissue
Breast augmentation surgery with this technique “lifts” the nipple into a higher, more attractive position. The advantages of the dual plane breast augmentation technique include:
- A decreased risk of capsular contracture
- A natural appearance
- One small, inconspicuous exterior incision
- More natural breast movement as you walk
Breast augmentation using a fat graft is a completely natural, implant-free way to increase the volume and fullness of your breasts. Although breast implants may still be necessary if you wish to enlarge your breasts by several sizes, fat grafting has allowed many women to achieve beautiful, natural looking results with a modest increase in breast size.
During this procedure, excess fat from the hips, thighs, buttocks or another donor area is removed through liposuction. This fat is then purified and reinserted into your breasts to improve their shape and fullness.
The advantages of this breast augmentation technique include:
- Naturally augmented breasts
- You receive additional body contouring results in the area where fat was removed
- No need for large incisions or breast implants
- Breasts have a natural shape and feel
Many women are good candidates for this type of breast augmentation. One of the main candidacy factors to discuss with our plastic surgeons is whether you have an area of excess fat that can be harvested for breast augmentation.
Breast augmentation is performed under general anesthesia to block all pain during surgery. It will take place in our state-licensed and accredited surgical suite for your comfort. When it's over, you will be moved to our recovery room, where you will be closely monitored by a nurse.
You may experience discomfort during the recovery that can typically be managed with pain medication. Aftercare measures such as sleeping elevated can also make you feel better.
Breast augmentation is considered safe when performed by an experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. The most common side effects include temporary bruising, swelling, and discomfort. All risks and considerations will be discussed in detail during your consultation.
You can set yourself up for success by following our preoperative and postoperative instructions. These instructions are designed to promote proper healing and great results.
You may have aesthetic concerns that you wish to address that are not included in breast augmentation. The good news is that additional procedures can often be performed during your surgery to help you achieve the results you desire. These supplementary procedures can include:
- Nipple reduction: Our experienced surgeons can reshape long, saggy, overly prominent, or asymmetrical nipples. These nipple characteristics may be a source of embarrassment, especially if they are noticeable through your clothing. To correct these concerns, an inconspicuous incision is made around the areola and excess tissue and skin is removed.
- Inverted nipple revision surgery: Inverted nipples can be a cosmetic concern and may also cause difficulty when breastfeeding. The inversion is caused by tension in the tissue surrounding the nipple. The stiff tissue draws the nipple inward and causes occasional or constant inversion. By releasing the tension in the tissue, our plastic surgeons can restore a more normal nipple appearance without severing the milk ducts.
- Breast lift: This procedure can improve the appearance of moderately to severely sagging breasts. A breast lift elevates both the breast and the nipple into a more youthful position. By combining a breast lift with your breast augmentation, you may be able to achieve a more youthful appearance along with an improved breast size and shape.
Our plastic surgeons will recommend the right combination of procedures to address all of your aesthetic goals.
Many patients are surprised to learn that breast implants aren’t measured in cup sizes. That’s because bra cup sizes don’t actually follow any industry-standard specifications. You’ve probably noticed while shopping that cup sizes can fit differently from one brand to another.
Instead, breast implants are measured in terms of volume using a unit called cubic centimeters. Implants with less volume give a subtle boost. Implants with more volume look more dramatic.
Think about the results you want to achieve. Our board-certified plastic surgeons will help you pick the right size during your consultation. We will gladly show examples of different options.
Your first breast procedure may not be your last. In fact, many breast augmentation patients will have either implant revision or removal surgery later in life. There are a few reasons behind that.
It’s important to realize that while breast implants can last for a long time, they aren’t lifetime medical devices. They can wear out and rupture or cause other issues that will need to be fixed.
It’s also perfectly normal for your preferences to change over time. The implants that you once loved when you were younger might not align with your image of yourself as the years go on. You may want to get a different implant size or remove them entirely. It’s completely up to you.
At Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeons want to help you look and feel your best. Schedule a breast augmentation consultation today at 303-706-1100. We welcome patients from Denver, Lone Tree, and the surrounding areas of Colorado.