Men usually have a few concerns when considering gynecomastia surgery. How will I make time for the recovery? When will I be able to return to work? How long will I need to put my fitness routine on hold? These questions are understandable, but they shouldn’t stand between you and the results you deserve. After all, it only takes about four weeks to recover from male breast reduction.
Here’s some information about what you can likely expect after your procedure:
- Returning home: Gynecomastia surgery is an outpatient surgery. That means you won’t need to stay in a hospital overnight and can instead go home the same day. Arrange a ride from a responsible friend or family member who is willing to help monitor you.
- Pain medication: Some men don’t need narcotic pain medication after male breast reduction. If they do, they usually feel good enough to stop taking it after two to three days. Medications such as Tylenol and anti-inflammatories can also be beneficial.
- Compression garment: Our surgeons will instruct you to wear a compression garment for roughly four weeks. This discreet garment can be concealed under your regular clothes. It places gentle pressure on the area to promote healing and provide support.
- Work: Depending on your career and rate of healing, you should be able to return to work within two weeks of surgery. Your surgeon will be able to give you a better estimate based on your physical and professional profile.
- Physical activity: You can’t hit the gym right after male breast reduction. Doing too much too soon can increase your risk of complications and impact your cosmetic results. For that reason, you should focus on easing back into physical activity. Do not lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for the first six weeks. After six weeks, you may resume more strenuous aerobic work and lifting activities as tolerated.
Schedule Your Male Breast Reduction Consultation Today
Our board-certified plastic surgeons will gladly provide individualized information about recovering from male breast reduction. Call 303-706-1100 today to schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation. Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery serves patients from Lone Tree, Highlands Ranch, and other areas of Colorado.