Many people trust tummy tuck surgery to help them achieve their body goals. In fact, over 123,000 people had the procedure done in the U.S. last year, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. Review the following list of tummy tuck pros and cons to find out if this popular body contouring solution is a good match for you.
Pros of Tummy Tuck Surgery
Tummy tuck surgery offers some exceptional advantages to patients, particularly those who’ve lost a significant amount of weight or have had children. Here are some of the most notable benefits:
- Tummy tuck surgery creates a slimmer, flatter waistline by removing excess fat and loose skin.
- It repairs weak or separated abdominal muscles. By doing so, it can correct a protruding belly, which is sometimes referred to as a “pooch.”
- An abdominoplasty will remove or reduce pregnancy stretch marks from your lower stomach. It may also improve the look of C-section and hysterectomy scars.
- You’ll notice that your clothes look and fit better than they did before.
- You may experience improved self-confidence and self-esteem.
- You may notice an improvement in medical issues such as urinary incontinence and lower back pain.
When diet and exercise fail to improve cosmetic and functional concerns with your abdominal area, tummy tuck surgery offers a solution. This safe and effective procedure is customized to meet your specific needs.
Cons of Tummy Tuck Surgery
Virtually all cosmetic surgeries come with some drawbacks that are worth considering. Abdominoplasty is no exception. The cons of a tummy tuck include:
- A full abdominoplasty is a major operation with a considerable recovery. Expect to postpone strenuous activities for at least 6 weeks.
- Results take time. It may be several months before you see your final outcome because of swelling.
- You will have a scar or your lower abdomen. However, it’s well-concealed within the bikini area and can be improved with silicone scar sheets and other interventions.
- Insurance rarely covers the cost of a tummy tuck procedure. Fortunately, financing options are available at our practice.
- Weight gain and pregnancy following abdominoplasty may negatively influence surgery results.
It’s important to consider these points when contemplating an abdominoplasty. Know that for many people, the benefits of tummy tuck surgery greatly outweigh the drawbacks.
Learn More During a Complimentary Consultation
Our board-certified plastic surgeons can help determine if tummy tuck surgery makes sense for you. Schedule a complimentary cosmetic consultation by calling 303-706-1100. Park Meadows Cosmetic Surgery proudly serves Lone Tree, Denver, and other areas of Colorado.